How to Check for Air Leaks & Seal Windows
Your home is a place where a little know-how and elbow grease will go a long way towards saving you money. With Fall season upon us and cooler Texas weather [finally] around the corner, here’s a handy tip to help keep your home cozy warm and save on your heating bill at the same time!
- On a windy or drafty day, take a lit candle and run your hands up and down the seams of the window while watching the flame. (This should be obvious, but keep the flame a safe distance from your window.)
- If the flame moves, it means air is pushing through from outside, and Houston, we have a problem.
- Check the caulk on the outside window frame and glazing around the problem panes.
- Window glazing needs to be replaced periodically as the putty ages and wears from heat and the elements. The gaps are what causes the air to rush through into your home.
- Peel away the old glazing and caulk, and use caulk softener if necessary to help with the removal.
- All you have to do now is install new glazing and apply new caulk and you’re ready to go!
Check out this article by the DIY Network that provides a more detailed explanation of each step with pictures. Find it by clicking here.
And Bonus Points…These tips also work for the summer months as well! We know air conditioning can get mighty expensive on those hot summer days!
The Kink Team is a family-owned real estate business, and is just part of the reason why so much care and attention is emphasized with each and every client. The Kink Team is recognized as one of the top producing real estate teams in North America and is highly awarded within the industry. Let us go to work for you. Contact us today.