7 Tax Deductions & Credits for Your Home in 2016
One great advantages of owning a home are the tax deductions you may be able to claim. Houselogic published a great article about tax deductions that you surely don’t want to miss when it comes time to file in 2016.
Here’s a quick list of the top 7 Tax Deductions and Credits you should know about when filing your return.
- Mortgage Interest Deduction
- “Taxpayers can deduct the interest paid on first and second mortgages up to $1,000,000 in mortgage debt (the limit is $500,000 if married and filing separately). Any interest paid on first or second mortgages over this amount is not tax deductible.” (Credit: Bankrate)
- Prepaid Interest Deduction
- “These costs are usually deductible in the year that you purchase the home; but if not, you can deduct them ratably over the repayment period.” (Credit: TurboTax)
- Property Tax Deduction
- PMI and FHA Mortgage Insurance Premiums
- Vacation Home Tax Deductions
- Deductions can be tricky but proper record keeping is critical here. View more about this at HouseLogic.com.
- Homebuyer Tax Credit
- While not a deduction, it is important to know when, if at all, this was claimed. See why at HouseLogic.com.
- Energy Efficiency Upgrades
- “The Nonbusiness Energy Tax Credit lets you claim a credit for installing energy-efficient home systems. Tax credits are especially valuable because they let you offset what you owe the IRS dollar for dollar, in this case, for up to 10% of the amount you spent on certain upgrades.” (Credit: HouseLogic)
For more information, and to read the full article in greater detail – go to Houselogic’s article here.
Of course, we are not tax professionals. Consult with your tax advisor to see which credits may apply for your individual circumstance before filing. Good Luck!
The Kink Team is a family-owned real estate business, and is just part of the reason why so much care and attention is emphasized with each and every client. The Kink Team is recognized as one of the top producing real estate teams in North America and is highly awarded within the industry. Since 1999 we have helped over 1,200 clients buy and sell over $1 Billion in local real estate. Let us go to work for you. Contact us today.