Those of us fortunate enough to live in The Woodlands and surrounding areas are part of a large community of friendly, hardworking, and generous people. If you’re new to the community, there are lots of ways to get involved and meet people while helping out those in need. Here are a few suggestions of ways to share your resources and time by doing good for those around you.
• The YMCA Operation Backpack is a great cause the collects backpacks and school supplies and distributes them to families in southern Montgomery County. You can drop off items at the YMCA from now up until August 11 at either the Shadowbend or Ashland locations.
• Memorial Hermann hospital is always looking for volunteers to help out in both an administrative capacity as well as with patients. You can visit their website for more information at http://www.memorialhermann.org/locations/the-woodlands/volunteer/
• If you’re good with your hands, love building something tangible, and enjoy working outdoors, the Habitat for Humanity might be right for you. Their local office is in Conroe and there are opportunities to volunteer on a home build. They also accept donations of gently used household goods and furniture at their ReStore shop. Visit https://www.habitat.org/us-tx/conroe/hfh-montgomery-county-tx for more information.
• People aren’t the only ones who need a little help sometimes. The Montgomery County Animal Shelter is a no kill facility in need of volunteers to walk dogs, play with kittens, provide foster homes for animals, and help with marketing and administrative work. Helping out at the shelter is not only good for the pets, it’s also good for you, too! Learn more at http://www.mcaspets.org/volunteer
• The Montgomery County Food Bank distributes food to over 35,000 people each month! All that food needs to be sorted, stored, packaged up and delivered and the Food Bank could really use your help! From sorting vegetables in a refrigerated room to filing papers in the office, multiple volunteer opportunities are available. Register and get further details at http://mcfoodbank.org/volunteer-signup/
Volunteering in the community builds strong ties to those around us through new friendships and the sense of accomplishment you feel when you’ve helped resolve a need. Take some time out of your busy schedule to volunteer today – you’ll be glad you did!